Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Journey to the city of temples

It was a journey of sorts, interspersed with smiles and tears. I lost some, I gained some.

For the very first time in my life, I attempted something very daring. I cannot say it was a brave act, because it may be judged as a negative deed by some. Throughout the journey I tried to convince myself that I was right. But to be honest, I was not entirely successful. I was supporting a close friend in her choice of marriage partner. I was also close to her parents and they had not given their consent to the wedding. Hence the haunting second thoughts.

My idea of a placid journey was turned upside down, with the appearance of some of her friends. Strangers to me then, memorable companions now. Sightseeing with them was a pleasure. We had immense fun. The kind of thoughtless fun, that happens only with guys. A day of sunshine, smiles and snaps. I enjoyed myself thoroughly.

The day of the wedding proved to be hectic, because I had to be her friend and kin-folk. I felt my heart swell when I saw her dressed up as a bride. She looked beautiful. The bride and groom was so happy, that I could see the green-eyed monster in everyone's eyes.

When the groom tied the traditional 'thaali' around her neck, my eyes welled up. I dont feel any embarassment in owning up to that show of emotion. There were many around me who would claim the same.

After spending a few more hours with the marriage party, I returned to the room where we had been staying. In that moment I realised what parents go through at weddings, after seeing off their daughters. The room felt so empty. Without her smiles, without her complaints, without her presence.

Few tears were shed on the loss of a friend's continuous presence in my life. And then back to the jolly gang for more fun. Another day spent in their company, helped me recover from the sudden void. We visited the adornments of Madurai, the city of temples.

That night my old friend and new friends came to see me off. As the train moved away from the station and they waved good-bye, I realised that I had gained more than I had lost. The memories of the journey would remain in my heart forever.

Yes, I do owe an apology to some people for making this journey. But one day when they realise that I had supported the right cause, that I had stood by the happiness of my friend and their daughter, I hope they will forgive me.

1 comment:

  1. hey anju... i dint know u write so good... really a treat reading ur blog... brought some sparkling happy moments to light... and me too thoroughly enjoyed the tour to the city of temples... lots of memorable moments and friends for lifetime... will miss all...

    amit

    ReplyDelete

Me and my dreams

One fine day... I had this absolutely brilliant idea that I should learn baking. Sophie Kinsella's books, Nigella Lawson's cooker...